Some of the local store marketing strategies that I have highlighted over the past year are designed to increase awareness and sales for your brand, others because it’s the right thing to do. Working with charities over a period of time enables you to give back to the communities in which you are located, in addition to creating a sales opportunity at the store level.
Developing a working relationship with influential, local charities in your trade area not only establishes your community commitment as a business owner, but can also provide an effective way to link to a sales-driving fundraiser at your store. By supporting a local charity, you can help these organizations achieve their goals of reaching those people who are attempting to experience the everyday joys that the rest of us take for granted.
The benefits of supporting a charity are manifold:
- Provides an opportunity for your store to support a credible, respected organization
- Provides an opportunity for your store to give back to the community
- Creates goodwill among your customers
- Creates awareness for the charity and your retail store
- Builds employee morale by giving your employees another reason to feel proud of your store values
- Provides an opportunity to tie charity-fundraising to a vendor sales event at your store, such as “Buy X and we will donate a portion of sales to the local charity”
- Once funds are raised, it enables you to contact your local media for a check presentation photo opportunity at your store